Want To Teach Overseas? You'll Need These Documents And Paperwork

Posted on: 5 April 2018

When you're an American citizen hoping to teach in Asia or Europe, there are so many ways to do it that it's understandable if you get overwhelmed. However, no matter which program or school you eventual link up with, you'll need the following paperwork.


Some of your documents, such as your college degree, birth certificate or teaching certification, will need to receive an apostille. An apostille is a certificate that will authenticate institutions and information that you provide so that you can use your documents in other countries. The process is similar to having a document notarized; in some cases you're required to have documents notarized before you can receive an apostille.

To receive an apostille, you will typically need to send original documents to your own state's Department of State. An application is often required and the documents must be included in addition to a processing fee. You've also got to enclose an envelope with adequate postage that's addressed to you. Make sure you give the Department a number of weeks to process your apostille. When the process is completed, you will receive the apostille and your documents will be returned.

FBI Criminal Background Check

Most countries ask that you submit your FBI record, called the Identity Summary History Check. You can request a check online or through the mail, but allow for a number of weeks before expecting anything. Don't wait until the last minute to seek out this document. 

Medical Prescriptions

Once you're approved and are definitely on your way, it'll be time to pack belongings and other documents important to you, such as your driver's license. If you take medication regularly you'll also need to prepare yourself for going away. You may have gotten extra medication for the time you'll be overseas, but it's also advisable to get additional prescriptions from your physician. That's because on the trip, it's possible that your medications will become lost. To save yourself the stress of having to find and visit a doctor or hospital right away in your new country, having another prescription on hand should make it easier for you to collect the medicine you need.


Often, having official documents is best. However, you're likely to be asked for copies from time to time. In addition, if you lose your documents, you'll want to have copies handy. Scan and copy all of your originals and keep them in a separate spot.

These documents and records should be on your mind as you make your way to another country to teach. You may wish to seek out an expert in international law and others who have taught overseas to ensure that you're prepared to start your adventure. Contact a service, like ApostilleInt, for more help.